- Dyspareunia (recurring or constant genital pain during sexual intercourse) due to vaginitis, adneritis, vaginal stenosis, or endometriosis
- Scarring following episiotomy or perineal laceration
- During and after radiation therapy/chemo-therapy
- Following gynecological surgery with decrease in size of the vagina and scar formation
- Lichen sclerosus
- Tight vagina (i.e. virginity) for cultural or religious reasons
- Pain during gynecological examinations or when inserting a tampon
- Prior to use, wash the Vagiwell dilators with hot water and a mild soap and dry them thoroughly.
- Find a relaxed sitting or lying position that allows you to spread your legs slightly. For inserting the dilators, we recommend lying flat on your back with your knees bent and your legs spread slightly apart. You can, however, also use the dilators standing up, with one leg on a chair. Start with the smallest dilator.
- Lubricate the entrance to the vagina and the dilator with a water-soluble lubricant gel.
- Breathe calmly. Gently push the dilator into the vagina. You should only insert the dilator as far in as is comfortable for you. Should this be painful, you may be using too much pressure.
- Leave the dilator in the vagina or in the entrance to the vagina for a few minutes.
- After that, insert and remove the dilator, without fully taking the dilator out of the vagina. Repeat this movement approximately 5 times. Then slowly start moving the dilator with a slight rotating movement: rotate the dilator 5 times to the right and 5 times to the left. After that, move the dilator 5 times to the right and 5 times to the left. These movements help to gently dilate the vaginal tissue.
- When you want to finish the stretching exercise, remove the dilator from the vagina. Remain lying down and relax for a few minutes more. Once you are able to insert one size comfortably, your vagina has stretched far enough for you to be able to use the next largest dilator. When changing from one size to the next one up, the most recently used dilator should first be inserted and left in the vagina for a few minutes. Proceed with the next largest dilator as described above. The stretching exercises may be repeated three to four times a week. Once you are able to comfortably insert the largest dilator, you can consider having sexual intercourse.