Flexi-T Pearl Index Measurement
The cumulative Pearl Index for the Flexi-T 300:
- First year 1.5
- Second year 1.9
- Third year 2.5
- Yearly average of 0.8/0.9
The Flexi-T+ 300 performs in the same way as the 300– both have 300mm² of copper. The Flexi-T+ 380 performs like all other 380 IUDs and has a Pearl Index of 0.4 – 0.7 on a yearly basis. The Pearl Index of a 300 will differ maximum 0.5 from +380. All Flexi-T models remain effective up to five years after being fitted.
About the Copper in Flexi-T
Basically, there is a copper release in the womb. Copper ions demobilize sperms and stops sperm from fertilizing the egg. This means the higher the copper load, the more effective it is. The negative side effect is that more copper can cause heavier bleeding. As such, women who already suffer heavy bleeding during menstruation should be advised to choose a model with a lower copper load (i.e. the 300) 380mm² is the maximum allowed loading for a copper IUD. For this reason, Prosan has the Flexi-T+ 300 and the Flexi-T+ 380. Both with the same size body (for multiparous women) however with choice in copper content. Most other IUDs are limited to 380mm².
Difference between Flexi-T and Comparative Models
There is a real difference between these IUD types, not just the insertion method. The Flexi-T’s size and shape result from extensive in-vivo longitudinal research and measurements. The result is:
- Flexi-T’s are more flexible than comparative models.
- Flexi-T’s are fundus-seeking. This in combination with the slightly smaller size of the Flexi-T’s result in the particular ease of insertion and removal and a minimal incidence of unwanted side effects like additional bleeding and pain.
- Risk of perforation for Flexi-T IUDs are much lower than chances of perforation when using an IUD with a plunger system.
- Unlike other IUD models, the Flexi-T has an integrated single thread while the others use the common double thread knotted at the bottom of the IUD. The advantage of the Flexi-T “single thread without a knot” construction is that it prevents the creep of bacteria up the threads by capillary action, and the subsequent nestling thereof in the knot at the base of the IUD. This decreases the risk of pelvic infections.
The Flexi-T IUD has a very simple design and a straightforward insertion method, however, one that is unique to the Flexi-T. The Flexi-T is ready for insertion as there is no plunger or elaborate applicator – the insertion tube fits around the stem of the IUD.
Please review the following insertion instructions in addition to the corresponding video embedded at the bottom of the page before beginning an insertion.
- Do a bimanual exam to determine uterine size and position.
- Insert the vaginal speculum, cleanse the cervix and infiltrate xylocaine into the anterior cervix if desired.
- Grasp the anterior cervix with a single toothed tenaculum.
- Sound the uterus to identify the endometrial canal and measure uterine depth.
- Open the sterile package and adjust the blue cervical stop on the insertion tube to mark the uterine depth. Make sure the end of the string is free from the cervical stop. There is no need to touch the IUD itself. It is a good idea to grip the string along with the end of the insertion tube in order to prevent the device from slipping out of the tube when you lift it up.
- There is nothing to load. The arms of the IUD stay outside the insertion tube as the IUD is passed through the cervix. They will automatically spring back to their orginal shape once the device is in the endometrial canal.
- Use the tenaculum for traction on the cervix while you pass the Flexi-T through the cervical canal and up to the uterine fundus.
- The arms will fold down, then twist and turn around the insertion tube as the device navigates the cervical canal. There is no cause for alarm. The arms are designed to be flexible for this purpose. Once the arms are through the internal os their “memory” allows them to resume their horizontal position and conform to the shape of the uterine cavity.
- You will feel resistance when the IUD reaches the uterine fundus. It is a good idea to wait 10-15 seconds so the arms have a chance to open fully. Gently tap the fundus two or three times with the insertion tube in order to help the Flexi-T nest properly within the endometrial cavity.
- When you are satisfied that the IUD is place, gently twist the insertion tube back and forth as you withdraw it. Be careful not to pull on the string as you remove the insertion tube.
Many women want to use natural and safe contraception – without hormones! Caya diaphragm offers you a safe contraceptive method that you can control and use when you need it.
Caya is inserted into the vagina like a tampon before sexual intercourse. It fully covers the cervicla os and is placed between the posterior vaginal vault and the space behind the pubic bone. During and after intercourse, the Caya prevents sperms from entering the uterus.
After intercourse, the Caya diaphragm must remain in the vagina for at least 6 hours.
Consult the links below to learn more about proper usage of the Caya diaphragm!